Friday, February 13, 2009

I went out last night...

...to the fabric shop. Which is a bad thing. I mean, I love buying fabric and notions and doodads to help me create things more efficiently, but me going to the fabric store is like sending a pill popper to the pharmacy. Which is why it's a bad thing.

It's mostly bad because of the resolutions I made for myself. I could say that they were New Year's resolutions, but I decided on the 6th of January that I wanted to do certain things for the wellbeing of myself and my pocketbook (hellllllo crappy economy!), at least until the 6th of March:

1. Clean my apartment for 1/2 hour every weekday, or 2 1/2 hours a week (crap, just remembered this one...should try to keep this one up. Ah, lapsed promises)
2. Not buy any makeup or bodycare products for 2 months. For instance, I have enough shower gel to last me for a year, if not more - I kid you not. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I already broke this one...broke down and bought some Bare Escentuals concealer (bad!) but it's the wrong color so I have to return it (good), as well as some new nailpolish (bad!) because I've been breaking my bad habit of picking my nails down (good).
3. Not buy any fabric or clothing. I can have new clothes if I make them for myself, but must make them from fabric in my stash.
4. Floss nightly. This should be standard procedure, but I just hate flossing for some reason. I could brush my teeth all day long and it'd be fine, but flossing is just a p.i.t.a.

Now that you have some background info, back to the hitting up the fabric store last night. I have decided that I want to make my boyfriend a messenger bag for Valentine's Day. It's a little last minute, but I think I'll be able to hack it. And I know it's not very romantic, but I think he'll love it, and he doesn't like candy and is indifferent to flowers, so I had to think of something! I also have a book and a handmade valentine ready for him. :)

3/2/09 Update: I didn't end up getting this done in time for Valentine's day - looks like I wasn't able to hack it like I thought I would be able to! Hehe. Working under pressure can get a little difficult - especially when the person you're trying to surprise lives with you! I did manage to make him some PJ pants that were a surprise for Christmas, though - but that was sewing here and there when he was gone, and I had a lot more than a couple of days to make that happen! I haven't officially cut out or started sewing this bag yet, but I'll get to it really soon, and have something to share with you.

However, to find all of the things I needed for the bag, I ended up having to hit up 2 fabric stores. Got the fabric for his bag (it's amazing how I can have 6 rubbermaid containers full of fabric and nothing that will quite work) and ended up looking around at some other fabrics, as well. At Hancock Fabrics I took a look at a certain home dec fabric I've been eyeing for a while that would be perfect for some spring bags for my shop. It was a fantastic deal (60% off!) and I had to go for it. I figure, can't hamper my business buying even if my personal buying is frozen ;). I'm so excited about it, though - can't wait to get some bags and possibly skirts made!

No comments:

Post a Comment